U16 Softball Information and Rules
- In U16 Softball, players are divided into teams of a minimum of 12 players. There are 9 players on the field. This is an age group of children born between 2004 and 2005.
- An inning is 3 fielding outs or 6 runs.
- Game scores are kept and recorded on the WSWYSA website, and there is 1 umpire.
- a team jersey and a team hat are provided prior to the season.
SCHEDULE & PLAYING SEASON
The softball season begins in very late April, weather permitting. Teams play two games per week, on Tuesday & Thursday and usually practice an additional one day per week, at the coach’s discretion. Games do get rained out, and coaches try to schedule make-up games, typically on a weekend. So, some weeks you may play three games, or on unusual nights. Games begin at 7:00 p.m., but coaches want players to arrive 30-60 minutes early for a pre-game warm-up. Typically, U16 games are finished by around 9:00 p.m. Macdonald plays in the Winnipeg South West Youth Softball Association League. The league will finish play by mid July with the team’s option to participate in various weekend tournaments and provincials, with the registration fees to be paid by the team.
All of the communities in Macdonald combine to form B-League teams. We try to keep players on teams based out of their home town as much as possible. However, previous years’ registrations have resulted in only enough players for one team.
Equipment You Need to Provide
- ball glove
- batting helmet with working chin strap and cage
- official softball bat*
- water bottle labelled with the player’s name
- colour of pants is decided by the team at the start of the season.
*If you are purchasing a bat, length and weight vary depending on size and strength of the player. Kahunaverse (formerly Home Run Sports), offers 10% off the regular price of bats to players from Macdonald Minor Ball. The staff will help guide you in the direction of best bat size for your child.
SPECIAL PLAYING RULES - U16 "B"
- All games start at 7:00 PM with a 15 minute grace period for late arrivals. 2. The maximum number of innings is seven (7).
- No game may go beyond 9:00 PM except to finish an inning. Umpire’s decision is final when calling a game for darkness.
- The minimum number of players required to play a game is eight (8). Not in effect in Provincials (must have 9 players). PLAY WITH 7 PLAYERS AND BORROW FROM THE OTHER TEAM
- The defensive team shall consist of a maximum of nine (9) players on the field.
- The "Infield Fly Rule" is in effect.
7.The Mercy Rule is in effect as follows: In all seven (7) inning games, a ten (10) run mercy rule will be in effect after 4 1/2 or five (5) innings; in five (5) inning games a ten (10) run mercy rule will be in effect after 2 1/2 or three (3) innings, in League and playoff games. The game is officially over when this occurs.
- All players will appear on the batting order (whether they are in the field defensively or not). Eg. if 15 players show up for a game, all 15 go on the batting order and bat in turn.
- There are unlimited defensive substitutions, i.e. defensive players can rotate into the game at any time. However, the batting order cannot be changed.
- Pitching distance - 40 ft Baselines - 60 ft
- The dropped third strike rule is in effect.
- Windmill pitching is permitted.
- Players are required to wear a batting helmet, complete with an approved mask when batting and/or running.
- In the event a player is injured during the game and is unable to take their turn at bat, the player will be removed from the batting order and out for the balance of the game, unless the player’s coach announces that the player will be able to continue to play prior to the team’s next at bat.