Though most of the rules of adult baseball are followed, both the A-League and AA-League use a continuous batting order, where all players on the team bat in order whether or not they are playing in the field. There is unlimited substitution at all fielding positions. Game length is 7 innings.
The baseball season begins in very late April, weather permitting. Teams play 2 games per week, on Monday, Wednesday, or Sunday evenings, and Saturday or Sunday afternoons in early May. Evening games begin at 6:30 p.m., and typically finish around 8:30 p.m. Afternoon games begin at 2:00 p.m. Coaches require their players to arrive earlier for pre-game warm-ups. Games do get rained out, and coaches need to schedule make-up games. So, some weeks you may play three games or on unusual nights.
The A-League plays entirely within Winnipeg South. Expect at least 1 additional practice per week for A-League teams.
The AA-League plays city-wide. Expect at least 2-3 additional practices per week for AA-League teams.
- Teams in the A-League will all participate in the Winnipeg South playoffs in late June. Teams that qualify for the City Championship tournament may be playing the Canada Day long weekend, and into the first week of July.
- All teams in the AA-League will play through the second weekend in July. The City Championship Final is the Tuesday of the third week in July. Teams that qualify for the Provincial Championship tournament will be playing through the third weekend in July.
All of the communities in Macdonald combine to form one AA-League team and one A-League team at each age level. An additional fee is charged to try out for the AA team.
Equipment You Need to Provide
- baseball glove
- batting helmet with working chin strap
- Baseball Bat Bats must be a barrel diameter 2 ¾” or less and a bat rating of -10 or less. Bats must have the word Baseball on their barrel label. Bats labelled Softball cannot be used
- athletic supporter
- GREY baseball pants
- water bottle labelled with the player’s name
Although not required, batting gloves and baseball shoes (rubber or plastic cleats only) are highly recommended for the AA-League.